Dog attacking a dog: 311 (but BARC probably will not come) Try & stop the attack: throw water on the dog, Make a very loud noise (like an airhorn or yell).
To avoid having your dog attacked WHEN YOU ARE WALKING HIM: 1) always keep your dog on a leash when outside your house or fence. Use a properly sized 6 foot leather leash, which gives you the most control while walking. Do NOTUse retractable leashes! They are dangerous. You have no control over your dog, they can break. they can get wrapped around your dog's neck and choke or kill him.
2) carry a sturdy walking stick for defense.
3) If the loose dog is moving toward you and your dog, yell "NO" and step towards him without staring at him. (this is not what you should do if you are without your dog and a stray dog comes up to you. Please see below under "if YOU SEE A LOOSE DOG AND YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR DOG WITH YOU".)
4) if the attacking dog backs off, slowly move away from the dog without turning your back on him.
5) try & keep your dog calm so he doesn't show agGression.
6) If the loose dog does not back off: (a) Use pepper spray - directly into attacking dog's nose & eyes. Careful the wind does not spray it back onto you. don't worry about it getting on your dog. that is better than your dog getting injured or killed in a dog fight. (b) Make a loud noise like an air horn - small airhorns to hand carry are available at retail stores
IF YOU SEE A LOOSE DOG AND YOU DO NOT HAVE YOUR DOG WITH YOU:
DO NOT RUN! THAT WILL TRIGGER THE DOG'S PREY INSTINCT. THE DOG WILL CHASE YOU. PEOPLE CAN'T OUTRUN VERY MANY DOGS.
INSTEAD, dO THIS:
1) IF THE DOG IS NOT AGGRESSIVE AND GOING TO ATTACK YOU, STAND LIKE A TREE. ARMS AT SIDES, LOOKING AT YOUR FEET, MOTIONLESS. NEVER MAKE EYE CONTACT WITH THE LOOSE DOG. 2) if THE LOOSE DOG IS CLEARLY GOING TO ATTACK YOU, GET ON THE GROUND AND CURL UP LIKE A ROCK. PROTECT YOUR FACE AND FRONTAL AREA. SCREAM FOR HELP.
report an injured dog: spca (713) 869-7722 (9am-5pm, 7 days a week) (713) 880-4375 after hours and holidays
REPORT A STRAY DOG: MAKE A REPORT TO BARC AT 311. GET BARC INCIDENT NUMBER. BARC PRIORTIZES DOG BITE CASES AND CAN ONLY PICK UP STRAYS IF THERE IS ROOM AT THE BARC SHELTER. IF YOU ARE NOT IN DANGER OR AFRAID TO PICK KUP THE DOG YOURSELF, TAKE IT TO BARC: 12-5 PM TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY, FRIDAY, SATURDAY, SUNDAY AT 3200 CARR, OFF COLLINGSWORTH BETWEEN ELYSIAN AND JENSEN DR.
SPAY & NEUTER SERVICES (free & low cost): EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org Barc - 311 emancipet - (713) 321-2713 snap - (713) 862-8001 LOW COST veterinary services: BARC wellness center - 311 (open 12-5 pm every day; 3200 Carr St. 77026) EMANCIPET - (713) 321-27139 (910 D Wayside Drive #100 - across the street from Fiesta)